A. Led in the monitoring and inspection of the arrival of 2,049 heads of Murrah Riverine Buffaloes last January 16, 2010 imported from Brazil by the Philippine Carabao Center (PCC) for its dispersal program.
B. Instructed the Regional Quarantine Officers to conduct on-site inspection and audit of meat establishment and animal health situation in different countries.
C. Inspected and evaluated the risk of importing horsemeat (Cheval). Assessed BOUVRY EXPORTS CALGARY LTD., the source of cheval, a meat processing plant in Alberta, Canada on June 6-16, 2010.
D. Supervised the transshipment of breeding hogs from USA to Philippines in South Korea last Aug. 30-Sep. 2, 2010.
E. Accredited Canada’s inspection and certification systems for meat as per Administrative Order No. 16, series 2006 on the Pre-border measures for the export of meat and meat products to the Philippines last Oct. 16-30, 2010.
F. Conducted hands-on training on automation of import permit with the Inter-commerce Network Services to the Veterinary Quarantine Officers & importers (Visayas/Mindanao) held in Cebu City & Gen. Santos City last Oct & Nov. 2010.
G. Attended and participated in international and local meetings, trainings and workshops to improve and better equip the quarantine staff in strengthening quarantine measures and quarantine programs.
ASEAN-Japan Centre Program on the familiarization with the latest trends, developments and better understanding of Japanâ€™s processed foods and processing/manufacturing of chicken parts held in Japan.
Educational Tour for Quarantine Officers and Inspectors held in Korea.
Collaborative Approaches to Managing Commercial Cargo Quarantine Risk Meeting held in Chile last June 2010.
Seminar on Livestock Product Safety Management for Asian Countries at Anjang City, Republic of Korea from October 13 to 23, 2010.
WTO Regional Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) Workshop in Colombo, Sri Lanka from November 23-26, 2010.
1. Pilot run on the Automation of the Application and Issuance of SPS Clearance, January 21 & 25, 2010 at DA-NAFC & BAI, Quezon City.
2. Legal Training on EU Legislation on Food Safety and SPS Measures – February 1-3, 2010, Clark, Pampanga.
3. Beekeeping Orientation Training last March 10-12, 2010 in La Union, Pampanga.
4. Mid-year Veterinary Quarantine Consultative Workshop in Gateway Hotel, last June 22-25, 2010 and participated by Veterinary Quarantine Officers from Regions 1 to 12, CAR, ARMM, CARAGA and BAI Staff.
The topics discussed are:
- Updates on Emerging and Other Diseases,
- Report on FVO Mission of the EU Commission to the Philippines, re: Captive birds Export/Import;
- Risk Analysis and Epidemiology, Four (4) Components of Risk Analysis, namely;
- Hazard Identification, Risk Assessment, Risk Management and Risk Communication,
- The Revised Rules & Regulations on the Euthanasia of Animals;
- Electronic Application of Import Permit; Luzon as FMD Zones, the Implications and Changes on Existing Quarantine Guidelines and the Animal Health Programs.
5. Year-End Veterinary Quarantine Consultative Workshop last December 8-10, 2010 at Bohol Plaza, Tagbilaran City, Bohol and participated in by Veterinary Quarantine Officers from Regions 1-12, ARMM, CAR, CARAGA and BAI Staff. The topics discussed are:
- Animal Welfare Act, its IRR and new measures
- Legal frameworks of Bird Flu Contingency Measures in the Philippines
- Electronic Application of Import Permit
- New concept on application for importers and its advantages.
- Updates on the percentage of import permit issued and approved through online processing;
- Review of the Philippine Veterinary Quarantine Service Operations Manual NVQS Planning for 2011.
6. The monthly Price-Volume Watch, NAC-ADCE and VITAC and MANCOM Zoonosis Technical Working Group (TWA) meetings.
H. Issued a temporary ban on the importation of domestic and wild birds and their products including poultry meat/FMD-susceptible animals, their products and by-products from the following AI/FMD affected countries:
Taiwan (AI) – DA-M.O. No. 04, s. 2010
Korea (AI) – DA-M.O. No. 02, s. 2010
Korea (FMD) – DA-M.O. No. 01, s. 2010
Bhutan (AI) – DA-M.O. No. 06, s. 2010
Denmark (AI) – DA-M.O. No. 11, s. 2010
Japan (FMD) – DA-M.O. No. 14, s. 2010
Italy (AI) – DA-M.O. No. 15, s. 2010
Netherlands (AI) – DA-M.O. No. 16, s. 2010
Mozambique (FMD) – DA-M.O. No. 23, s. 2010
Maynmar (FMD) – DA-M.O. No. 24, s. 2010
Germany (AI) – DA-M.O. No. 25, s. 2010
Canada (AI) – DA-M.O. No. 26, s. 2010
Japan (AI) – DA-M.O. No. 27, s. 2010
I. Lifted the temporary ban on the importation of domestic and wild birds and their products including poultry meat/meat and meat products derived from cattle from the countries of:
Germany (BSE) – DA-M.O. No. 03, s. 2010
France (AI) – DA-M.O. No. 07, s. 2010
Germany(AI) – DA-M.O. No. 12, s. 2010
Turkey (AI) – DA-M.O. No. 17, s. 2010
Canada (BSE) – DA-M.O. No. 19, s. 2010
United Kingdom (BSE) – DA-M.O. No. 20, s. 2010
Spain (BSE) – DA-M.O. No. 21, s. 2010
J. Issued 48,175 permits, clearances and certificates for the year 2010.
Import permits issued: 42,538
Export permits issued: 2,464
Clearances & Certificates: 3,173